Something exciting is happening this weekend and we need to be ready for it: NASA has partnered with SpaceX to help them launch their first astronauts to space – yes, we’re talking real-life space! Apparently, this is a historical moment for America (and the world) as the last time NASA sent astronauts to space was in 2011. This 2020 launch of the SpaceCraft called the Crew Dragon can mean incredible things for future technology and the many companies hoping for private missions to venture out into our mysterious galaxy.
The best part? SpaceX is Live Streaming it on Twitter and Youtube for all of us to watch step by step and moment by moment as Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley get blasted off in a rocketship as SpaceX’s first astronaut launch. So, what I mean by, “we need to be ready for it” is really more like, “What drinks will we be making to watch this Live Stream”? The live stream lasts a few hours so we need to be fully equipped for the occasion.
When: Saturday, May 30 at 12:22 PM Pacific Time
Backup Date: Sunday, May 31 at 12 PM Pacific Time
Here are the best options for your Space-themed weekend:
1. Deep Space
- 1.5 oz Cointreau
- 0.5 oz brewed Earl Grey tea
- 0.5 oz fresh lemon juice
- 2 dashes aromatic bitters
- 2 drops black food coloring
- 1 pinch black cocktail shimmer dust
- Step 1: Add all ingredients to a shaker tin with ice.
- Step 2: Shake and strain into a chilled coupe.
- Step 3: Garnish with a lemon wheel.
2. The Cosmonaut
- 2 parts Vodka
- 1 part fresh lime juice
- 0.75 part Ginger Liqueur
- Dash of Cardamom Bitters
- Step 1: Build over a large ice sphere in a spherical rocks glass.
- Step 2: Garnish with space-candy dusted grape
3. Space Cowboy
- 1 ½ oz Hansen End of the Line Moonshine
- ¾ oz Amaro Montenegro
- ¼ oz Pineapple Syrup
- 2 dashes Token Strathcona Orange Bitters
- 1 dash Aromatic Bitters
- Step 1: Fill a decanter or large jar with applewood smoke either using a culinary smoking gun or by inverting over flamed applewood chips.
- Step 2: Stir all ingredients with ice and strain into applewood smoked filled decanter.
- Step 3: Allow smoke flavor to infuse for a few seconds before pouring into an old fashioned glass with a large rock of ice.
- Step 4: Express an orange peel over the cocktail and enjoy.
4. Space Oddity
- 5 oz pisco
- .75 oz Blue Curaçao
- .5 oz fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 egg white
- 2 drops Orange Blossom Water
- 2 dashes Orange Bitters
- 3 drops Peychaud’s Bitters
- Step 1: Add all ingredients except for Peychaud’s bitters to a cocktail shaker without ice.
- Step 2: Strain into a chilled coupe.
- Step 3: Add 3 drops of Peychaud’s bitters and swirl with a toothpick.
5. Lost in Space Martini
- 4 oz of Orange Vodka
- 1 oz of Triple Sec
- 1 oz of tang powdered soft drink
- Step 1: Roll rim of glass in additional Tang sugar (optional).
- Step 2: Shake ingredients in a shaker with ice.
- Step 3: Strain and serve in cocktail glasses.
6. Space Gin Smash
- 6 Mint leaves
- 2 Seedless green grapes
- Green apple
- 33/100 oz Simple syrup
- 1 1/4 oz Tanqueray gin
- Garnish: apple slice fan
- Garnish: mint sprig
- Garnish: green grape
In a shaker, muddle the mint, lemon, grapes, apple, and simple syrup.
Add the gin and fill with ice.
Shake, and strain into a rocks glass filled with fresh cracked ice.
Garnish with an apple fan, a mint sprig, and a grape.
7. Galaxy Moscow Mule
- Lime Juice
- Ginger Beer
- Butterfly Pea Flower Tea
- Step 1: Make Butterfly Pea Flower Tea by putting the flowers into hot water until the water turns a dark blue/indigo color. You can purchase it on Amazon here
- Step 2: Pour said water into an ice cube tray until frozen
- Step 3: Crush the ice in a blender and pour into your cocktail glass
- Step 4: Add Vodka, Ginger Beer, and Lime Juice over the indigo-colored ice
- Step 5: Watch as your cocktail changes to colors of the galaxy